What we’re all about:
At Tribe 12 (tribe12.org), our mission is to connect people in their 20s/30s to Jewish life and community in Philadelphia today so they will choose to stay connected tomorrow.
Our programming includes social events, matchmaking services, an LGBTQIA+ community, affinity groups called Tribes (an a capella choir, fantasy football team and performing arts group to name just a few), a Fellowship for entrepreneurs, and much more. We’re also intentional about being a true community resource, hosting an online community calendar for 20s/30s events and referring people to opportunities outside of Tribe 12. Our vision is that every person should have a path to finding others like them, creating their own meaningful experience with Judaism, and building Jewish community in our city – or wherever they may go.
Tribe 12 is well-established as a non-profit in Philadelphia with more than fifteen years of experience centered exclusively on people in their 20s/30s and over 2,500 unique participants in our programming each year.
How you’ll contribute:
As our Engagement Associate, you will be developing and running events for a community of Jewish 20s and 30s in Philadelphia (40%), creating content for social media (25%), meeting with individuals and representatives of organizations one-on-one for outreach and networking (20%), working with volunteers (10%) and performing administrative functions (5%). In a typical week, you can expect to…
- Plan, design and produce events (about one a week) for 20s/30s for Philadelphia’s Jewish community
- Manage volunteers and help them run their own events and interest groups
- Work up to three nights a week and sometimes on weekends with a schedule you design, whether at your own events or networking on behalf of Tribe 12
- Meet one-on-one with people in their 20s/30s, especially people who are new to Tribe 12 or Philadelphia
- Meet with representatives from other local organizations to form collaborations and ensure you are an expert in the landscape of Jewish Philly
- Run Tribe 12’s social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) in partnership with our Strategic Growth Manager
- Advertise our events through other avenues like Tribe 12’s weekly newsletter, at other events in town, as the host of our podcast, and any other creative ways you dream up!
This role reports to Tribe 12’s Assistant Director.
What you’re all about:
- You gain energy from being around people, are radically welcoming, and genuinely enjoy being in social environments
- You feel passionately about cultivating an environment in which people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive
- You’re detailed, meticulous and thorough (you might feel a special joy when you find a typo in a magazine!)
- You have a strong work ethic and hold yourself to a high standard of practice
- You’re a creative thinker with a million great ideas for events, and you also can point to examples of times when you’ve effectively executed on your big ideas in the past
- You regularly use and are comfortable with social media tools like Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and enjoy trying out new technologies
- You believe Judaism is relevant, important and can hold meaning for 20s/30s and for you personally
Life at Tribe 12:
- It’s seriously fun to work at Tribe 12! We’re intentional about company culture and work-life balance, and it’s not uncommon to see “mandatory staff fun time” listed in our calendar or for someone to bring homemade baked goods to staff meeting!
- Our twelve “core values” (“There is a Jewish community for everyone” and “Act as guides, not authorities”, for example) ground us and inform our work on a day to day basis
- We work collaboratively out of WeWork, an accessible co-working space in Center City Philadelphia, where there are many opportunities for networking and professional development
- We’re a small team who dive head first into challenges. We start with why when approaching new ideas, we aren’t afraid to try new things and fail fast, and we pick up slack when someone needs extra support
- We use the latest technology to be an efficient team and stay relevant to our demographic. On a typical day, you might use Slack, Soapbox, Asana, Canva, the Google suite and social media to communicate and stay organized.
Compensation and benefits:
- This is an entry-level position with an experience range of 0-2 years. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- This is a full-time position with a salary range of $33,000-$39,000. Final salary offer will be dependent on experience and qualifications.
- This is a two-year (maximum) position, commencing with your start date. You may have the ability to grow in the organization depending on role availability.
- An additional annual stipend of $3,000 is provided in monthly installments to cover the cost of individually-purchased health insurance
- Tribe 12 staff members receive a financial allotment for their own professional development which can include travel to conferences or events
- Tribe 12 staff members receive membership at WeWork, the Center City Philadelphia coworking space where we have our offices
- We have flexible hours and, to balance our evening and weekend work, take Fridays as a flex day
- Meals or coffee are often covered when you are out for work
- We have a flexible vacation, holiday and sick leave schedule that you work out with your supervisor and offer 12 weeks of parental leave
- The ability to work from home may be granted after three months at Tribe 12 with supervisor approval
Our hiring process and timeline:
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled
- We will begin scheduling phone and in-person interviews to take place the weeks of April 1st and April 8th, 2019 with up to three total interviews for the selected candidate
- You may be asked to complete a creative or in-person assignment before an interview
- We would like to have our new team member start by June 17th, 2019
- To apply, please send your cover letter, resume and 1-2 references with a creative subject line to email@example.com. Optional: also send a 1-minute selfie video telling us about a time you took a risk that paid off!
Tribe 12 is an equal opportunity employer. We serve an array of people from a variety of backgrounds, cultures and personal experiences and strive to build a team that is representative of that community. We encourage applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.